Our Mission

Our Mission

The motto of the school is “Veritas Vincit”. We are committed to developing in our students a positive outlook on life and mutual respect and concern for each other. The school, mindful of the values of its foundation, endeavors to cultivate respect for the spiritual and moral beliefs of the Christian tradition and to create a community in which pupils, cared for as individuals, are helped to find fulfillment as they grow towards adulthood.

堅信「真理必勝」,培育學生正確的價值觀,讓她們明辨是非, 尋求真理,學會尊重及關心別人,仿效基督愛人精神,發展健全人格,邁向成長的道路。

School Motto

school logo

“VERITAS VINCIT”
or
“TRUTH CONQUERS”

“Veritas vincit” is a Latin phrase.  In English, it means “Truth conquers all”.

“Christ is the foundation of the school
as He is the way, the truth and the life.”

本校的校徵是一片金色的楓葉。

楓葉象徵天神之后傳教女修會的發祥地 - 加拿大;

葉面上鍥刻著的拉丁文VERITAS VINCIT 則表示了本校的創立目標 - 真理必勝,即本校的校訓。

School History

The Founding of St. Clare’s School in 1927

In 1926 our co-foundress, Mother Mary Garbriel and 3 other sisters arrived in Hong Kong with the aim to open a Chinese novitiate.They rented a flat on Nathan Road, one of the poorest parts of the community at that time and evaluated the possibility of the project.On 7 Feb, 1927, an English institute was set up with 7 students. The institute was named after St. Clare as suggested by Father Shak.The school motto Veritas Vincit, which means Truth Conquers was adopted. It indicates that Christ is the foundation of the school as He is the way,the truth and the life. At the end of Feb 1927, the sisters moved to 5 Peace Avenue in Homantin. With the increasing number of students,the house at Peace Avenue was too small for both the students and the sisters’ quarters. At the end of October, 1927,they moved to 3 Argyle Street in Homantin. Having taken the advice of Bishop Enrico Valtorta,the sisters started to establish themselves in the Chinese district. Eventually, Kennedy Town was chosen to be the new site of the school.The new school was opened on Sands Street in 1930. In 1936, the school moved to Prospect Place, Bonham Road. In 1945-46,the school was reorganized under a new educational system, with 2 sessions;morning session for secondary and afternoon session for primary.

創校初期,校舍設於九龍彌敦道,未幾遷往何文田,又因地方不敷應用,於同年遷往亞皆老街。一九三零年一月,遷至港島西環山市街,於一九三六年才購置般咸道現址。日治期間,部份修女轉往澳門發展會務,但仍有三位修女留守香港,有賴她們,校舍得以繼續保存。一九四五年,學生人數增至一百五十人,隨後按年遞增。一九五七年獲政府撥地於摩星嶺道另建中學,並於一九五九年落成啟用,小學校舍則於一九六七年完成重建工程。

School Sponsoring Body

Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of the Angels

(Soeurs Missionnaires de Notre-Dame des Anges, MNDA)

(天神之后傳教女修會)

“In 1913, Florina Gervais, a very young Canadian Missionary in Canton, China decided to set up a novitiate for Chinese girls. She returned to Canada to pray and work for the idea. Two years later with a young Canadian girl, Mother Mary of the Sacred Heart (the religious name of Florina Gervais) returned to Swatow at the invitation of the Bishop there. After contracting a fever, her companion died. Alone and with the war on, the Bishop advised her to return to Canada and try to found a novitiate there.

With the help of the Bishop of Sherbrooke, Bishop La Rocque and the warm encouragement of the Apostolic Nuncio, Bishop Pietro di Maria, in June 1919 the first novitiate was opened, and in 1922, with the canonical erection decree, the missionary institute was formally established.  In the same year, five sisters sailed for Kwei Yang in Kweichow.

When Mother Mary of the Sacred Heart left Swatow in 1915, she brought with her a young girl of 17 named Chan Tsi Kwan, whom she had known as a pupil in Canton. That girl later became Mother Mary Gabriel, the co-foundress of the Congregation with Mother Mary of the Sacred Heart in 1919. Each year new groups continued to come to China until in 1949 when missions were expelled from China. They had 14 houses, four of them in Canton. After long years of work in China and Canada and incidentally the opening of St. Clare’s in Hong Kong, Mother Mary Gabriel died in 1974 in Canada, and Mother Mary of the Sacred Heart died in 1979.

Training of girls for sisterhood was the first work of the Congregation. They did this in several dioceses but they also had schools and hospitals, worked in leprosaria and social work. Mother Mary of the Sacred Heart chose to follow the Franciscan Third Order Rule (TOR) due to coincidence. Their first house was near a Franciscan monastery, the Fathers there were her first mentors. So again she got what she wanted – to be a Franciscan with accent on poverty and humility, a badge that would distinguish the Sister of Our Lady of the Angels to this day.

Today, the Congregation has Mission houses in Hong Kong-Macau (China), Japan, Peru, Tanzania, RDCongo, Brazil, Vietnam, Philippines, Rwanda and Canada as the main headquarter.

The Sisters of Our Lady of the Angels are strictly missionaries. The Mother Foundress always said if God wanted the work to go on, He would send vocations to continue His mission through these humble servants of His.